About Benajah Wolcott Keeper’s House
Built in 1822, the Keeper’s House is a native limestone structure and was home of Benajah Wolcott, first keeper of the Marblehead Lighthouse (originally called the Sandusky Bay Light) and his second wife, Rachel Miller Wolcott. Benajah maintained the lighthouse from 1822 until his death 10 years later. After Benajah’s passing, the U.S.Government appointed Rachel as the keeper, making her the first female lighthouse keeper on the Great Lakes. The building is the oldest known residence still standing in Ottawa County and is a fine example of a “hall-and-parlor house,” an early American home design. The Ottawa County Historical Society provides free tours during the summer season. Please visit the OCHS website (www.ottawacountyhistory.org) for days and times of operation.