About Chester Court House and Academy
Chester Court House is the Oldest Court House still standing in the Northwest Territory. Chester was selected to be the second county seat of Meigs County and the first to have buildings of justice. The County seat was moved to Pomeroy in June of 1843 and the court house became terribly deteriorated. In 1959 concrete buttresses were installed to support the building that had shifted. At this time the court house was remodeled. In 1995 an extensive restoration was initiated by the Return Jonathan Meigs Regent Pat Holter. She asked that the Chapter sponsor an extensive restoration. The project was completed with many grants at a cost of $160,000. It is now a museum representing the history of Chester.
Features & Amenities
Parking is free. Admission is