About McKinley Birthplace Home & Research Center
This reconstructed house is located on the site of the original McKinley home and birthplace of President William McKinley. The furniture inside the eight-room house is representative of how a typical home during the early 1840s was furnished. The family moved to Poland, Ohio in 1852 and the home became the Benedict General Store. In the 1890s, the building was split into two and moved. From 1910 to the 1930s, both sections of the house were finally reunited and moved to Tibbetts Corners, which was later renamed McKinley Heights. The building was then operated as a birthplace memorial to President McKinley until declining attendance led to its closure. It later burned down in 1937. Today the reconstructed structure features the house, a research center, meeting room, computer lab and a small gift shop.