2016 Ohio Tourism Economic Impact and Visitors Study
The 2016 Ohio Tourism Economic Impact results from Tourism Economics recently became available and Ohio had another record-breaking year! Here are a few highlights:
- Visitor spending reached $43 billion, up from $42 billion in 2015.
- Ohio’s tourism economy supported 427,000 jobs, up from 420,000 in 2015.
- Tourism visits rose to 212 million in 2016, up from 207 million in 2015.
- Average spending per person for day visitors is $111 and $360 for overnight visitors.
For a downloadable version of the 2016 Ohio Tourism Economic Impact card click here.
We also recently received the 2016 Day and Overnight Visitors Study from Longwoods International which continues to reinforce several key learnings regarding overnight marketable trips:
- Overnight visitors account for about 19% of total visitors to Ohio. This is a consistent trend dating back to at least 2006. The average number of nights spent in Ohio is 2.1.
- For those visiting overnight, the number one main destination is northeast Ohio. This is also the region of the state from which Ohio derives its greatest number of visitors (population being a key factor, of course).
- Special events are the number one reason for overnight travel in Ohio with 23% reporting as such. We see this reinforced in other ways, too – our festivals and events page is the number-one searched page on ohio.org, and blogs about festivals and events consistently perform strong. Knowing how this resonates with consumers, we’re now including the Calendar of Events as part of our call-to-action in all of our print advertising.
- Hotels are the number one source of accommodations at 30%, even ahead of ‘home of a friend or relative’. This is somewhat surprising since 43% of those visiting Ohio overnight come to visit friends or relatives while 45% are marketable trips (which are those taken other than for business).
- 44% plan their trip one month or less before their intended getaway – this has implications on advertising, making digital and paid search particularly relevant.
- In addition to visitors giving Ohio credit for being accessible and affordable, the research reports that 92% of overnight visitors would definitely or more than likely recommend Ohio as a destination to others!