Regional Media Missions/Press Trips
We have been chugging along with visits to key Ohio feeder markets and assisting travel writers with custom press trips to our state. The regional missions involved Ohio tourism industry partners in desk-side meetings with media contacts to promote travel options for consumers within driving distance of Ohio, as well as family-friendly getaways and travel packages.
So far this year, we’ve met with media in Lexington/Louisville and Detroit and are planning an additional mission to Pittsburgh (vacations and summer events have caused us to look for new dates).
- Lexington/Louisville Mini Media Mission (June)
- 1 Live TV interview and 3 Desk-side Appointments: WKYT-TV; Rural Mom; Group Travel Leader, Select Traveler, Small Market Meetings; Kentucky Living and Tribune News Service.
- 1 Industry Partner (Hocking Hills Tourism Association)
- Detroit Mini-Media Mission (July)
- 4 Desk-side Appointments: Everyday Savvy; Mindful Adventures; Country Living, Journal & Topics; Better Homes & Gardens and Midwest Living.
- 2 Industry Partners (Holmes Co. CVB, Toledo)
Some Custom Press Trip Results
TourismOhio media relations efforts, in cooperation with our industry partners, stimulated a number of press trips to Ohio over the summer. Custom press trips are designed to showcase the state’s unique travel experiences. Some highlights include:
- Parents.com and Family Fun, Kristen Gough -- Her three-day Ohio trip included Sandusky, Marion, Bucyrus, Columbus, Dublin and Hocking Hills. The story, Top Picks for Family Travel in Ohio, ran in print and online in August.
- New York Daily News, Ginger Otis – Ginger visited sites in the Zanesville area, Hocking Hills, Ripley, Chillicothe and Adams County with her family as they drove from New York to St. Louis, MO. Her article titled, “Ohio proves a great destination for a short family trip,” ran online and in print 09/06/15. http://bit.ly/1NuiBPt
- Katie Goldstein Blog -- Katie Goldstein traveled to Ohio on a custom press trip (as a result of the New York Media Mission) to Cincinnati at the end of August and wrote a piece for her blog titled: Top Ten Things to do in Cincinnati, Ohio including the Best Cincinnati Art Museums, the Cincinnati Zoo, the Aquarium and the Best Restaurants: http://bit.ly/1M2u6u7
- Cleveland Plain Dealer – A Chinese blogger (social media influencer) visited Ohio as part of the Brand USA Great Lakes Road Trip on 7/18: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/07/lady_gaga_helps_salvage_trip_t.html
Many thanks to all of you, our industry members, who joined us for media missions, hosted writers (sometimes on short notice) and generally worked together to create an inviting and truly amazing experience for visiting media!