Wine tasting often conjures an image of sitting in a winery, perhaps along the shores of Lake Erie, sipping and enjoying tasting notes from that particular vintner. Alternatively, there are many locations that offer wine tastings that are not wineries. The advantage? Here you can often taste local wines, along with regional and national brands. Additionally, when it’s winter in Northeast Ohio, an indoor tasting experience is most toasty.
As we enter the winter season, here are a few Cleveland-area wine tasting venues. I love the affordability. Also, if you find a wine you really enjoy you can always purchase a glass (and maybe some nibbles) and enjoy that after your tasting!
• WineStyles (Fairview Park, Ohio) – This cozy shop, soon to be renamed West Shore Wine Co., offers tastings twice a week on Thursdays and Saturdays. Sample six wines and a few snacks for only $10 per person. Wine is for sale here, along with gifts. You can also stop by anytime to enjoy a glass. Special events take place throughout the year and there is also a wine membership club.
• Rozi’s Wine House (Lakewood, Ohio) – A staple since 1939, Rozi’s offers an expansive selection of beers and wines for tasting and for sale. Be sure to allow time to shop because you’re sure to find something! Food is also available for purchase. Enjoy a drink at the bar or in the indoor patio area.
• Wine & Design (Cleveland, Ohio) – Artistic flair and wine mix at this eclectic shop in the heart of Tremont, a growing neighborhood in Cleveland. This shop is owned by two Tremont residents and features home furnishing and design services. Check the calendar for special wine tasting events.
• The Wine Room (Avon, Ohio) – You can join a wine club here, enjoy tasting events for a nominal fee or book a private party! Tuesdays through Thursdays, enjoy wine and beer by the glass during happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. On Fridays and Saturdays, wine tastings are from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Local Grocery Stores (Various Locations) – Don’t forget about tasting wines at your local grocer! Both Whole Foods Market and Heinen’s, which have locations around Northeast Ohio, frequently offer wine tasting events. Events usually coincide with the season. For more details, visit each company’s website or call your local store!