The Underground Railroad Museum features an extensive collection of publications, books, memorabilia and other articles. The museum was founded in 1993 by the late Dr. John Mattox and his late wife, Rosalind to preserve the past for future generations. The exhibits portray what is known about slavery and the Underground Railroad in Ohio, and presents an understanding of the culture in the 1800's. Much of the information and artifacts Mattox has gathered came from local sources. Mattox and the museum were accepted to the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program.Visitors to the museum are encouraged to tell him their own stories and to ask questions as they peruse the 15,000-18,000 objects, artifacts and documents of the three-story building. The goal of the museum is to demonstrate what we all have in common today rather than placing blame and to prompt young people to seek additional awareness and wisdom.The Ohio Valley area was very active in the Underground Railroad during the 19th century, having been home to many Quaker settlers who were ardent abolitionists.Hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 11am – 3pm EST, and on Saturdays by appointment only. Feel free to contact us by phone at 740-391-3135 to schedule an appointment. Donations appreciated. Take a virtual tour of the museum at ugrrf.org
Features & Amenities
Share this listing
Ohio. Find It Here. Newsletter
Find travel inspiration for your next trip, get the latest Ohio news & find out about great events with our monthly newsletter!