I’ve always enjoyed hockey but it wasn’t until about a year ago that I finally made an appearance at a Lake Erie Monsters hockey game. I’m not sure what took me so long but I have loved going back! The Lake Erie Monsters are one of a handful of developmental circuit hockey teams in the state. The Monsters play out of the multi-functional Quicken Loans Arena (The Q) in downtown Cleveland, Ohio.
When the weather is icy outside, it’s much more fun to watch a game on the ice – especially with the addition of the huge “jumbotron” electronic scoreboard this season! The screen is 5,500 square feet and larger than any other LED HD scoreboard in the country. The Monsters season typically runs through Aprils, pending playoffs. Here’s what you can look forward to at a Lake Erie Monsters hockey game this season:
• Attending a game at The Q is really easy. You can park in the covered garage attached to the arena for a nominal fee, or if you are tech-friendly you can also pre-pay your parking using Flash Seats. The same smartphone app can be used to show your tickets at the door too!
• Once inside, I recommend walking few laps around the stadium before the game gets started. Food and drink options are aplenty here from traditional hotdogs, to pizza, more gourmet options and beverages of all kinds. And even though it’s winter, you can also order ice cream here! During your walk you might also want to take part in special activities (perfect for the kids) and to visit the team shop for some gear.
• The Lake Erie Monsters do a wonderful job with crowd support and entertainment during the game. From on-the-ice contests, to issuing “thunder stix” to patrons at the door you, will find entertainment beyond the game. I really look forward to the start of the game and the reveal of the “Monster.” I won’t share too many details though. You will have to attend a game for yourself!
• Oh and let’s not forget the zamboni! Who doesn’t love the zamboni?
• Games are budget-friendly (single game tickets start at only $12 each) and also family-friendly! Family plan tickets start at $59 per package. As a couple without children we had a great time too. Games are perfect for a date night or even a double date with another couple. Many games also are “theme nights” featuring special giveaways, surprises and more.
For more information on the Lake Erie Monsters visit the team online. For tips on where to stay and eat in Cleveland, continue reading our blog (and scroll thru the archives) or visit Destination Cleveland, your go-to resources for all things Cleveland tourism-related. See you at the rink!