COLUMBUS, Ohio (September 10, 2020) – As people look for ways to extend their summer travel, the next few weeks will be an ideal time to explore Appalachian Ohio. From the shores of Lake Erie to the banks of the Ohio River, Ohio’s Appalachian Country, which covers 32 of Ohio’s 88 counties, offers visitors incredible opportunities to travel close to home while staying safe during the pandemic.
"Ohio’s Appalachian counties have so much to offer, and the businesses throughout the region are doing their part to keep visitors safe," said Lydia Mihalik, director of the Ohio Development Services Agency. "When people visit Ohio, we just ask that they remember to wear a mask, practice social distancing and regularly wash their hands so the places we love can stay open and memories can be made."
The outdoor attractions and scenic spots across Ohio, including wineries, restaurants and unique lodging found in Appalachia are showcased in a new Ohio. Find It Here. video.
"People are getting to know the real Appalachia now that they are traveling to the many charming and inspiring places across this beautiful region of Ohio," said Matt MacLaren, director of Ohio. Find It Here. "From Wine Country to Amish Country to historical sites along the Ohio River, our state has something for everyone."
To give Ohioans travel inspiration, Ohio. Find It Here. created a special section of Ohio.org dedicated to telling the Appalachia story, including Five Ways to Explore Ohio’s Appalachian Country. The comprehensive list delivers unique road trips for people of all ages and interests along with places to stay and eat.
- Ohio’s Wine Country – Enjoy the breeze off the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio’s Wine Country, located in Ashtabula County. Sip on a glass of wine from one of the more than 30 wineries that populate the county, many of which are family-owned and run.
- Ohio’s Amish Country – Say goodbye to the stresses of a fast-paced lifestyle, by soaking in the breathtaking hills and valleys of Ohio’s Amish Country. Take a ride in a horse-guided buggy and sample the local cheeses.
- First and Finest – Marietta’s river-town history and charm will take you back to the simpler time. The century-old Lafayette Hotel is a Marietta landmark situated right on the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingum rivers.
- Hike the Hills – Take a hike in Hocking Hills State Park, one of Ohio’s most picturesque and popular natural spaces where you will find caves, waterfalls and plenty of places to bike, boat and zipline.
- History Makers – Travel through centuries of history, from the prehistoric era all the way up to the Civil War and beyond, along the counties bordering the Ohio River.
To read a PDF version of this press release, click here.
About Ohio. Find It Here. Operating within the state of Ohio’s Development Services Agency, Ohio. Find It Here. works to position Ohio as a destination of choice to enrich lives through authentic travel experiences. The Ohio. Find It Here. brand supports Ohio’s multibillion-dollar tourism industry. In 2019, the tourism industry captured a record-breaking $48 billion in visitor spending and welcomed 226 million visitors into and within the state. The industry also supported 431,000 Ohio jobs. For more information, visit Ohio.org.
# # #
Media Contact: Celina Fabrizio, email@example.com or 614-745-9462